Melancholia

"Ich steh mit einem Fuß im Grabe"


(I am standing with one foot in the grave),

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Allen Ginsberg Project: Trungpa and Allen..and Gregory! - 3


[Gregory Corso, Allen Ginsberg & Chogyam Trungpa, Rinpoche, Naropa
Institute (now Naropa University),  Boulder, Colorado, July 2nd, 1975. photo
c. Rachel Homer]


Gregory Corso [to Trungpa]: Why are you wearing a Mexican shirt?
Chogyam Trungpa: I thought it was fitting to the poets.
AG: I'm wearing a tie because I thought it was fitting to the Buddhists.
Gregory Corso: That's my tie you've got!
AG: Well, I've got a jacket to go with it.
Chogyam Trungpa: Yeah
Gregory Corso: I've got a Russian shirt.
Chogyam Trungpa: Yeah
Gregory Corso: Rooski!
Chogyam Trungpa: Rooski!
AG [to Trungpa]: I think the problems you were proposing as problems of poets are more problems of untried, or amateur, poets, who have larger ego problems. A lot of older, old dog, poets have already got to a point where they're just trying to figure out what they actually thought.
Gregory Corso: They've lost their teeth already! , Look! our teeth are gone in the service! [Corso takes out and displays his false teeth]
Chogyam Trungpa: Do that again
Gregory Corso: Lost in the service
AG: Anyway, it's not essential in poetry to be looking for clever words. It seems essential often to students of poetry (but..)
Chogyam Trungpa: I think if one's thought is together (not "beautiful", for the sake of poetry-writing), and if your general view is somewhat in order, then you just write and scribble.
AG: So what's the function of that for somebody who's got his head together, or his heart together, what's the function of that?
Chogyam Trungpa: Well, it's to greater monument
AG: No, I think, more, there's where I find the bodhisattva impulse.. 
Chogyam Trungpa: But inspiration? Buddha is the biggest monument of the bodhisattvas, so, that kind of...
AG: ..because the function..it seemed to me, that, where someone like Whitman has been able to reveal his own nature, he turned on huge areas of America and opened space for other people to recognize themselves, or to recognize their own nature. In the case of Whitman, I would say what he did was establish a great giant self and there is a limitation there - he extended himself to the end of the universe..


The Allen Ginsberg Project: Trungpa and Allen..and Gregory! - 3

 
 Link: http://ginsbergblog.blogspot.ca/2012/10/trungpa-and-allenand-gregory-3.html




No comments:

Post a Comment