Melancholia

"Ich steh mit einem Fuß im Grabe"


(I am standing with one foot in the grave),

Monday, July 8, 2013

1960's Icons: Joan Baez and Bob Dylan



Joan Baez: House of the Rising Sun
(Director/Producer/Editor)





Don't Think Twice It's Alright [Bob Dylan 1962] from Dan Pick on Vimeo.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright [Bob Dylan 1962]
from Dan Pick 1 year ago
This video - © Vintage Entertainment Limited 2012. All rights reserved.
vintage.tv
Vintage TV is a music channel on Sky (369), Virgin (343) and Freesat (515). Tune in and enjoy the 'Soundtrack to the 20th Century'.
Edited by Dan Pick
danpickvideo.com


I cut the video from BBC Motion archive footage of London in 1963 (the year the song was released) and the adjacent years. It was commissioned by Vintage Entertainment Ltd for Vintage TV. The channel is on Sky (369), Freesat (515) and very soon Virgin as well.  ...Dan Pick

moving on:
"But goodbye's too good a word, babe
So I'll just say fare thee well"



Don't Think Twice It's Alright [Bob Dylan 1962]

Dec 8, 2012
I first heard it rumored on Milwaukee School of Engineering - MSOE Radio that this version of 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright' by Bob Dylan is the first known original recording of the song from the Fall of 1962. This recording surfaced only on bootleg albums like 'Ode for Barbara Allen' in 1974 subtitled as 'The Minnesota mover returns to the air' on The Amazing Korneyphone Record Label (TAKREL) from Southern California. During the 1970's the Korneyphone label was one of the first big record bootlegging outfits in the US. It was derived from Bob Dylan's performances at The Gaslight Cafe a basement coffee house at 116 MacDougal Street in the Greenwich Village, NY. From 1958 to 1971 performers would play for audiences for free and after the set a basket was passed for customer who wished to tip. The same song became available on another bootleg album entitled 'Barbed Wire Blues' in 1977 released on the Singers Original Double Disk Label (SODD). Finally someone took the hint and produced a CD release featuring 10 songs including 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright' from Bob Dylan's recordings at The Gaslight Cafe called 'Live at the Gaslight 1962' by Columbia Records released in 2005. It was first only available at Starbucks coffee and the Starbucks Entertainment website www.hearmusic.com in an 18-month coffee shop promo.

Now available at Amazon.com and other fine establishments: http://www.amazon.com/Live-Gaslight-1...



It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
Like you never did before
It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
I can't hear you any more
I'm a-thinkin' and a-wond'rin' all the way down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
But don't think twice, it's all right


    Don't Think Twice it's All Right
    Folksinger Paul Clayton wrote "Who's Goin' to Buy You Ribbons When I'm Gone" in 1960: 
    "It ain't no use to sit and sigh now, darlin, And it ain't no use to sit and cry now, T'ain't no use to sit and wonder why, darlin, Just wonder who's gonna buy you ribbons when I'm gone. So times on the railroad gettin' hard, babe, I woke up last night and saw it snow, Remember what you said to me last summer When you saw me walkin' down that road. So I'm walkin' down that long, lonesome road, You're the one that made me travel on, But still-I-can't-help wonderin' on my way, Who's gonna buy you ribbons when I'm gone?" 
    Clayton taught the melody to Dylan, who two years later wrote "Don't Think Twice It's All Right". I can't imagine that Clayton was very happy with Dylan's success! 



No comments:

Post a Comment